Is it PMDD or early perimenopause? Seeking advice.

A discussion area for topics from my second book Hormone Repair Manual. When you start a thread, please refer to the chapter where the topic appears.
purplerox

Is it PMDD or early perimenopause? Seeking advice.

Post by purplerox »

I read Lara's Period Repair manual, and recently I read Lara's Hormone Repair manual. Both books are fantastic!! Page 70 of the Hormone Repair Manual provides the criteria for perimenopause, and it seems I might have 3 criteria - but I'm not sure if it's actually perimenopause.

I'm in my early 30's, but am starting to question if PMDD might actually be early perimenopause.

My cycles & symptoms:
Body feels stressed days leading up to ovulation (on-edge feeling, but otherwise OK), and then high levels of anxiety, insomnia, irritability, sore breasts after ovulation, and brain fog during the luteal phase. I find it tougher to sleep during luteal phase as it feels hotter, and sometimes I sweat (night sweats?). I get a headache the day before the start of my period, and the day after. Cycles usually 34-35 days, but if I'm stressed or if I take vitex that cycle, the cycle gets shortened to 29 days.

I spent most of my life on the birth control pill (ew), and only got off 4yrs ago (took 1.5yrs to get a regular cycle).

Genetics:
My mom seems to think that she was in peri in her early 30's but isn't sure due to hysterectomy followed by ovary removal during that decade.

Any tips to tell if the anxiety, bad moods and insomnia is PMDD or perimenopause? Thanks!
Lara

Re: Is it PMDD or early perimenopause? Seeking advice.

Post by Lara »

Since you're only in your early 30s, chances are it is not perimenopause. Have you seem my premenstrual mood podcast?
purplerox

Re: Is it PMDD or early perimenopause? Seeking advice.

Post by purplerox »

Thanks Lara for your reply :) I'm glad it's unlikely to be perimenopause. Yes, I have listened to the podcast and tried a few things on the list - my experience and a few questions are below.

#1 - Antihistamine approach. I tried an antihistamine and it didn't work (I experienced side effects such as dry mouth, fatigue, and constipation).

In relation to antihistamine approach: I don't consume any dairy (I eat an ovo-vegetarian diet with lots of vegetables and protein (tofu + vegan protein powder + chickpeas/lentils/beans)). I do sneeze a few times on ovulation day and the day after, and experience some of the histamine-related symptoms that you mention in your podcast (ex. anxiety, insomnia, irritability, brain fog - all starting on ovulation day until a few days into my period).

#2 - Magnesium. I have been taking magnesium for over 2yrs now. I take 2x200mg biglycinate capsules before bed.

#3 - Vitamin B6. I tried 50mg of P5P three times, and all 3 times I tried it caused major anxiety. I decided to abandon this option as it's not agreeing with me. I have wondered if I would respond better with a B-complex (to balance out the B6), but haven't tried.

#4 - Iodine. I haven't tried this one yet as I haven't been tested for thyroid disease.

#5 - Vitex. I tried vitex capsules and found the vitex worked somewhat, but it reduced the length of my cycles by 5-6 days and led to pre-menstrual spotting - which I didn't like! Is it normal for vitex to have these effects? If so, will they subside?

#6 - Natural progesterone or body-identical progesterone. I have not tried this option. Are there any long-term concerns with the use of natural or bio-identical progesterone?

Other approaches I've tried:
I also read another post you had written which suggested taking taurine for mood. Taurine has been somewhat useful, but has not erased my pre-menstrual anxiety symptoms nor helped with sleep.

I also tried calcium, which was also somewhat helpful. I was taking 1000mg/day, but noticed the same level of benefit at 333mg/day. I am currently taking 333mg/day.

I take 200mg/day of DIM for the cystic acne that I noticed was linked to my cycle around the jaw line. I am currently taking this supplement, and no longer experience cystic acne.

I am not taking a multi-vitamin nor a B supplement at the moment. My reason is to try to get the majority of my nutrients through food + eating lots of vegetables & ensuring adequate protein. If a multi-vitamin or b complex is suggested, please let me know!

Thank you :)