Continuous Progesterone in Perimenopause - dosage?

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
Whetu

Continuous Progesterone in Perimenopause - dosage?

Post by Whetu »

Kia ora, I am 51 and have suffered for the past 6 years with debilitating hormonal headaches and migraine. Lara Briden's book has become my bible. After a nightmare with Mirena causing intracranial hypertension and estrogen patches giving me headaches within 8-12 hours of application, I eventually convinced my doctor to allow me to take oral micronised progesterone alone (no accompanying estrogen) – I am finally getting some relief. (I also take magnesium nightly). I need some advice though around how to advocate for continuous dosing of progesterone at 200mg as my doctor is reluctant to prescribe continuous progesterone at all, let alone at that level given that I am still cycling (albeit a bit haphazardly now). While my GP is open to the idea of continuous dosing and I have provided her with copies of J.C. Prior’s papers on the subject, she has advised that the dosage should be half of the cyclic dosage – i.e.100g per day. However, when I only take 100g, it does not have the same efficacy as 200mg. i.e. I get headaches. So, my question is, is there precedent for continuous dosing at 200mg per day in perimenopause? Nga mihi.