Iron infusion

Read, watch, or listen to the podcast here.
Pen73

Iron infusion

Post by Pen73 »

Hello

I am 51 and have 2 fibroids and flood badly each period (still regular, every 23 days) - I have had anaemia on and off for years. A quick history:
    • I stopped contraceptive pill at 30yrs and had 2 children, so have had a natural cycle for a long time. Heavy bleeding has been worse since 2nd child who is now 13.
          I eventually agreed to try an IUD and have had 2 mirenas to treat the hemorragia (some improvement but didn't stop bleeding). Both mirenas failed - one was expelled and the 2nd was heading sideways (I believe this was caused by interactions with fibroids) and I was at risk of perforation so it was removed.
              I also take tranexamic acid on my heavy days but clearly this isn't effective enough.
                  I stopped dairy 2 years ago...
                18 months on from that my periods are heavier than ever, I am very low on iron - ferritin is 5L, iron is 3.9L. My GP advises Iron infusion then daily supplementation with iron. I have had an iron infusion in 2018 and found I felt much better. Is this a good way forward - would like to know your opinion of impact of iron infusion or is slower better - are there interactions with hormones I should know?