Worsening Insomnia

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
sjlee000

Worsening Insomnia

Post by sjlee000 »

I´m 51 and late perimenapause.

I have a handle on the migranes (sometimes!) but now my main problem in insomnia. Weeks and weeks of worsening insomnia. I´ve tried melatonin with valerian & even my husbands medication but it doesn´t help. I have a 12 & 14 year old at home and work so I need sleep.

I´m taking 1 Utrogestan pill every night & a 25mg estrogen patch to smooth out migranes. I´m still having cycles.

My questions are: 1) Is it low estrogen or low progesterone causing insomnia?
2)How many utrogestan pills can I take everyday to help with insomnia?
3) Will too many utrogestan pills cause a progesterone dominance?
4) Has anyone tried 5-HTP or Gaba supplements for insomnia?

Many exhausted thanks.
Sam
NaturallyNourishedCB

Re: Worsening Insomnia

Post by NaturallyNourishedCB »

Hi Sam,

Oh this must be such a struggle for you. I wonder when did you begin the Utrogestan ? Could it be possible that this is contributing / causing the degree of insomnia you are experiencing. Although it should be calming to the brain - thereby permitting quality sleep, I have seen it on the odd occasion have the opposite effect ( I am a clinical nutritionist).

Which brings me to your question re: whether it is low oestrogen or progesterone. In short both - to which extent can be individual and dependant on a person's sensitivity to the neurosteroid shifts.

I am a fan of GABA or 5HTP - though do recommend you seek out a good nutritionist or naturopath to assist in dosage, adjunct or alternative nutrients (5HTP for example, is best had with appropriate magnesium and Bs to aid in correct pathways), based upon your needs. A good level of magnesium, glycine, taurine and B6 may be all that is needed to see you over this transitionary hurdle.

I would also recommend (should you not have already) ensuring other parameters (eg. thyroid) are not compounding the issue.

Don't disregard other therapeutics also.

If you are limiting carbohydrates - then it might be time to put them back in with your evening meal (complex carbohydrates such as sweet potato, or brown rice), some tryptophan rich foods (eg. turkey or chicken) too.

A warm bath, really does permit a shift in temperature that permits sleep onset; lavender and nidra style meditations, reduction in blue light exposure before bed ... may not be a cure all, BUT may help.

I wish you well. Recall - this is a re-caliberative stage, go gentle with yourself ... and if you can take anything off your "to do list" - do.

Warmest Cheryl (BHSc NutDMed).
sjlee000

Re: Worsening Insomnia

Post by sjlee000 »

Thank you for your considered reply, I really appreciate it.

I started taking Utrogestan about 5-6 years ago when I suffered estrogen dominance symtoms. I never had adverse effects...in fact I loved it and could tolerate a high dose on the migrane days.

I believe my estrogen levels are finally dropping, causing a raft of other symtoms (insomnia & foggyness) my recent bloodwork on day 9 of my cycle showed FSh at 63, estrogen at 45 and progesterone at 0.51.

I´ve changed my progesterone routine from 2 weeks (2 pills) to all month (1 pill) to smooth the migranes that were changing to the follicular phase & to help with the insomnia. I´ve recently started low dose estrogen, initally to cover the migrane days but now all month & I feel better with that, except for the insomnia.

Being desperate I upped the progesterone to 2 pills and took my husbands low dose Benzodiazepine (which didnt work on it´s own) and I´ve slept heavily for several nights now! I hate meds like that usually but I really needed some sleep.

My gaba supplements plus B6 have arrived today and I shall start those with my usual progesterone routine and see how I get on. Yes, I will absolutely stop the benzo´s. I´ll have to see how I get on.

I don´t like self medicating BUT I´ve paid for 3 private consults with gyno´s (I live in Portugal) and none heard of Utrogestan for perimenapause and my recent one told me as my ovaries were healthy to stop the progesterone to avoid breast cancer! Luckily my GP is sympathetic and will prescribe the low dose HRT as long as it sounds reasonable.

I´ve written another essay and probably dominate this forum with my changing ailments! Thanks again for the advice and sympathy.

Sam