Vitex? 42 and breastfeeding for the last 28 months (PMDD, Migraine, ADHD)

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
makingspecial

Vitex? 42 and breastfeeding for the last 28 months (PMDD, Migraine, ADHD)

Post by makingspecial »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some insight into how to best support my hormone balance while continuing to breastfeed my almost 28 month old, I think my period returned about 20 months pp. I am presuming that my prolactin is quite high both due to breastfeeding and the stress of (pandemic, climate crisis, war, parenting a toddler and ADHD). I suffer from PMDD and serious menstrual migraines which limit my life for about 4 days every month.

However, based on Lara's amazing blog and the book I have taken anti-histamines at migraine aura onset these last days along with aspirin and it has been amazingly effective as a first-line approach.
  • I have just started on Magnesiumglycinate (300mg daily) and B6 (2x 17mg daily - 36mg).
  • next on my list is getting Melatonin (3mg), riboflavin (2x 200mg) and zinc (30mg)
  • I guess my big question is should I be taking Vitex while breastfeeding?
  • I am also cutting down cow dairy, sugar and wheat based baked goods
at 42 I also presume that I should be supporting myself for perimenopause. I conceived late (naturally at 39, after failed fertility treatment). I was given medicacation for high prolactin during fertility treatment. Interestingly, when I did conceive it was the month I started on zoloft for PMDD! My period returned quite late, so when my daughter was about 20 months?

pre-pregnancy my periods were quite sparse, slightly shorter cycles. I've had menstrual migraines for at least the last 8-10 years and significant depression in the latter half of my cycle for far too long.

I was taking Zoely for the last 4 months primarily to manage PMDD but stopped at this last cycle. It wasn't feeling 100% right and reading the Period Repair Manual this last week confirmed my hunch that it wasn't actively treating the cause of my PMDD. I also get severe menstrual migraines (3-4 days of pain including the right side of my body in muscle cramps) and am concerned about the added long-term stroke risk of contraceptives.

I was diagnosed last year with ADHD. I take dexamphetamine for this which is a great tool that I am not willing to drop, but I know that my PMDD while overwhelmingly depressing also aggravates my ADHD symptoms. um... what else. low sex-drive, insomnia, sugar cravings.... (i figure i'll try to cut down, take magnesium to support cravings and then try cold turkey in a week or two)

As we are not actively trying to conceive again I wasn't specifically checking mucus signs etc prior to starting Zoely but will be doing so over the next months.

Thanks for any insight!