Antidepressants SSRIs

A discussion area for perimenopause. Please start by reviewing my articles Perimenopause is not about aging and Rescue prescription for perimenopause.
And my perimenopause book Hormone Repair Manual.
Elana

Antidepressants SSRIs

Post by Elana »

Do antidepressants (SSRIs) impact hormonal regulation and/or BBT?
I am 46 and started taking escitalopram a year ago due to anxiety and low mood. As I was suffering postnatal depression after both births and depressive PMS days around my period since then I suspect my mood strongly reacts to hormonal changes.
My cycle was always very regular so I never tracked it but started a few months back to understand how my mood/anxiety changes through the cycle. However, I don't get a visible increase in BBT that might indicate ovulation. BBT stays in the same range with ups and downs, often with a pronounced drop prior to the ovulation day predicted in the app but then just goes up to about the same range as before.
I am taking supplements such as MegaMagnesium and Iron (always issues there), went sugarfree (suspected insuline resistance but normal weight) and glutenfree. Period pain has eased, still heavy flow though (has been since childbirth 14y ago).
My main issue are anxiety and low mood. Can taking escitalopram impact my BBT measures? I would like to figure out if taking progesterone would be an option instead of escitalopram.
Paris89

Re: Antidepressants SSRIs

Post by Paris89 »

Hello Elena,
I am on the same SSRIs as you. I am on them around 3 weeks now I had an anxiety disorder that I really needed to get on top of. They have helped with anxiety so far but I do have a burning sensation daily on hands and forearms, sometimes legs. Did you suffer from this at all? I have not been tested yet for Premenopause but I am motivated to get checked. How have the SSRIs been going for you?
Elana

Re: Antidepressants SSRIs

Post by Elana »

Hi Paris89,
I haven't had this burning sensation but some other side effects within the first weeks such as insomnia but these resolved after about 8 weeks. Best to talk to your GP if you're worried.
I am on 5 mg escitalopram/day. It did help a lot with my anxiety - still there but far less intense and manageable.
Take care, I hope your side effects resolve soon.