I need more iodine for my breast pain than you recommended

A discussion area for topics from my first book Period Repair Manual. When you start a thread, please refer to the chapter where the topic appears.
Fay

I need more iodine for my breast pain than you recommended

Post by Fay »

hello Dr Briden,

Firstly, thanks very much for your book, its helped with my irregular periods a lot!
Im 38 and I have painful breasts up to 10 days before my period. So painful i can't exercise which is very frustrating.
After taking weaker doses of iodine (i think about 600mcg/day), i noticed an improvement. But i wanted the pain gone fully so i increased my intake and the pain decreased again, however it hasn't gone away completely.
For example this past cycle while i was taking 2 drops of the Iosol Formula II, which equates to 3,660mcg, I still had a lot of breast pain. Actually more breast pain than the previous month.

Should i just keep increasing my iodine intake until my pain is under control? I dont have any thyroid problems and ive had my anti-bodies tested, and no problems there.

I know Dr Northrup has found 12mg of iodine to help her patients with breast pain and Dr Brownstein says we need at least 12mg a day for optimum health, but i would love to get your perspective on this Dr Briden.

Thank you!
Lara

Re: I need more iodine for my breast pain than you recommended

Post by Lara »

I never go higher than 3 mg with my patients. A couple of things worth noting: 1) it can take a few months to notice the improvement, and 2) there are other factors in breast pain including high prolactin and estrogen. For example, in one of her latest interviews, Prof Jerilynn Prior talks about how progesterone can relieve perimenopausal breast pain.
Fay

Re: I need more iodine for my breast pain than you recommended

Post by Fay »

Okay thanks, i will focus on increasing my progesterone.
I did succeed in this after reading your book but i think the past few months my diet has not been as good and my gluten intake has increased which has probably had an effect on my hormones.