1.5 Years off Hormonal Birth Control & Feeling Confused

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
lbernas

1.5 Years off Hormonal Birth Control & Feeling Confused

Post by lbernas »

Hello Everyone!

It is great to see the creation of this forum. I read Period Repair Manual shortly after coming off the hormonal birth control pill 1.5 years ago.

I am feeling frustrated and uncertain as to how to proceed forward with my health.

In 2020 I came off antidepressants, and this process caused severe bodily upheaval, creating changes to almost all of my physiology that I had never experience before starting those drugs, one of which being that it made me sensitive to my birth control (which I had been on for 10 years at that point and have never had any issues with). I started to have even more hormonal issues (pelvic numbness, urinary issues, brain fog, fatigue). I decided to come off birth control in the fall of 2021 and ever since have had weight gain, hair loss, hirsutism, acne, muscle/joint pain, and PMS. I had normal healthy periods before going on the pill when I was 18. I have done a ridiculous amount of blood work and all my labs are within healthy ranges (based on doctors and Period Repair Manual) but I still experience lots of symptoms.

I have been working with a functional medical practitioner for a year and many of my symptoms from coming off the antidepressants have been resolved with their guidance, but I am still struggling with hormonal imbalance and the same symptoms that started from coming off birth control.

I tried chastetree berry, licorice, and peony combination for 10 months and was able to get my cycles to 35/36 days long with 1 30 day cycle but as soon as I went off it, my symptoms and cycle went back to how they were before. I am taking zinc, magnesium, taurine, b complex, vitamin D, and omega 3. I have been eating a paleo diet very consistently for the past year and exercise 3-4 times/week. My HOMA-IR index is 1.42.

I am not sure whether or not I am on the right track. I think it is PCOS and my OBGYN said so last year but wanted to give it time. I am just not sure if its inflammation based and my diet isn't right for that or something else etc.

If anyone has any kind words or advice or recommendations for doctors specializing in female hormone imbalance in the US that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Jeslyn

Re: 1.5 Years off Hormonal Birth Control & Feeling Confused

Post by Jeslyn »

Hi L.,

It sounds like you're going through a lot. Does your FM practitioner have any more ideas?

It sure sounds a lot like PCOS (androgen excess). I think it's too long since you were on the pill for it to be post-pill PCOS, but your HOMA-IR of 1.42 is moderately high so maybe insulin-resistant PCOS? You could read Lara's 4-types article to maybe get more insight:
https://www.larabriden.com/4-types-of-pcos-a-flowchart/

Your idea to seek additional professional advice is also valid. You can try searching for an ND here:
https://naturopathic.org/search/custom.asp?id=5613

I'd look for someone in your area choosing an applicable specialty (maybe Hormone Dysfunction?) and then check to see what else they cover to narrow it down.

Best of luck. Stay strong!

Jeslyn