Ibs and sibo

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
Natalie

Ibs and sibo

Post by Natalie »

Hi, I have been suffering from IBS symptoms for over 20 years. From your last podcast I heard you talk about sibo. I found it very interesting. I'm at the beginning of perimenopause and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis almost one year ago. I'm wondering about the connection here with inflammation? Would IBS or sibo have a connection to RA? I mostly stick with a low fodmap diet and have taken onion and garlic out of my diet completely. I'd love to know if anyone else has both IBS or sibo and RA. Also what helps them mediation wise and food, lifestyle wise too. I'm really keen to find a good doctor that is holistic and would be able to test me for sibo and be able to work with this and RA. Instinctually I feel like they are connected and that if I can sort one out the other will improve. Thank you for reading and any suggestions and comments.
Jeslyn

Re: Ibs and sibo

Post by Jeslyn »

I'm no expert, but that makes total sense to me. SIBO can cause intestinal permeability, resulting in bacterial toxins leaking into the bloodstream. That triggers an immune response (or over-response) which can result in joint inflammation. Apart from what you've already mentioned you could ask your doctor about using Berberine. It's an excellent natural treatment for SIBO.

Lara mentions it here:
https://www.larabriden.com/endometriosi ... ne-system/

That article is about endo, but a lot of the same principles would apply.