Extreme pain/ irregular periods

This forum is to discuss the women's health topics covered by my books, blog, and podcast. Thanks for being part of the conversation. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.
Steph_gzd

Extreme pain/ irregular periods

Post by Steph_gzd »

Hi, I am nearly 36 and trying to get pregnant.
I've always had issues with my period, when they first started I was around 13,and they are incredibly heavy. My doctors solution was of course the pill, and I stayed on that for a long time (until my mid/late 20s with some breaks or trying copper iud instead).

When I finally stopped everything pills, iuds, I was around 29/30. My periods continued to be heavy, but at least they were regular. I did experience some pain, but it was still want I considered manageable.

However the last 3 years in particular have been hell. 12 or even 15 days before my period I will experience extreme breast pain (which usually stops a day or 2 after my period starts), cramps, and now sometimes very extreme lower back pain which is so bad I can barely walk, which makes my job impossible since I work with small children.
Also my period can be very early (by 10 days) or very late (again around 10-14 days late) which means I spend most of the month in pain, emotional and exhausted.

Factoring in wanting to get pregnant of course makes things worse because it's really difficult to tell when I am ovulating. This month I used the ovulation sticks and found I was positive on the 8th day, and by 10th day I already had pms symptoms.

I've tried going to doctors, gynecologists, but it's been super unhelpful. For my symptoms they just suggest the pill again, which obviously isn't an option now. And for the pregnancy they either say 'just try' .. Or tell me to get my partner checked because men have low sperms count now.

I've had multiple internal scans, I've had some polyps removed and they said everything else seems fine.

I don't know what else to do. I am really struggling now with the pain, and the duration of the pain also. If anyone has any other suggestions/advice please don't hesitate to write. I am desperate to try anything at this point.
Steph