PCOS, now HA? Not sure what to try next.

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
rachel_s

PCOS, now HA? Not sure what to try next.

Post by rachel_s »

I am 19 years old and have been struggling with irregular cycles ever since they began. I was originally diagnosed with PCOS, due to elevated androgens, polycystic appearing ovaries, and absent/irregular cycles. I was also diagnosed as hypothyroid because of my thyroid panel levels and weight gain. Throughout lots of trial and error, I have discovered that specific macro targets and a calorie goal combined with strength training and walking have helped me to lose over 30 pounds! I stopped taking my thyroid medicine per my doctor who believes that I was improperly diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the first place by a different doctor.
However, I am still having cycle issues and I have not had a period in almost 9 months. Currently, I am working on restoring mineral balance to my body and I am also dealing with very low estrogen and progesterone levels. My FSH and LH levels are normal, but I do have lots of “normal” appearing follicles on my ovaries. My endocrinologist reviewed my current bloodwork and diagnosed me with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea. She believes I have this and no longer have PCOS. As a result, she suggested increasing phytoestrogens and fatty foods, as well as birth control. I really do not want to go on birth control or try an estrogen/progesterone challenge. Those challenges have not worked in the past and I am trying to go with the more natural route. I also have lots of stress and anxiety as I am a college freshman living away from home.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Marie

Re: PCOS, now HA? Not sure what to try next.

Post by Marie »

You may have initially misdiagnosed pcos. Read this post by Lara: https://www.larabriden.com/pcos-or-hypo ... a-or-both/
rachel_s

Post by rachel_s »

Thanks for the response! I think I may have outgrown PCOS, because I did have a lot of those symptoms. I just don't know what to do now that I am dealing with HA. I'm not underweight, I eat plenty and I don't over-exercise. A couple years ago, I modified the way I exercise - I walk for cardio and lift weights 3-4 days a week. I just don't know what to try next. I am worried about bone loss and my Dr. said if this goes on for too long, it could be bad. They don't offer much outside of birth control pills and I've put in so much effort to not take those since they solve nothing. They said stress could be a big issue for me, but I'm not sure how to relieve that outside of the things I am already doing (walking/exercise/CBD). Your help and advice is very appreciated!
gracehend

Post by gracehend »

Hi Rachel,
I’m 22 and dealing with the similar issues. I came off birth control almost 2 years ago, and got post pill-pcos, (high androgens, fsh:lh ratio, acne, facial hair, and cysts on ovaries) I got one or two periods after coming off birth control then lost a lot of weight which seemed to exacerbate pcos symptoms (acne). For the last 9 months I have worked very hard on diet and nutrition (back to a healthy weight), changed the way I exercise, and I no longer present PCOS symptoms and blood work is quite good, but still no period. So I also am questioning if I have moved from PCOS to HA. I agree it’s very confusing and I’m not sure if I just need to wait a bit longer and keep up the hard work or if there is something else to do?
rachel_s

Post by rachel_s »

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this too! I never took BC pills. A few years ago my Dr. had me do an "estrogen challenge." I took estrogen for a while, stopped and then took progesterone to see if it would induce a period. It did not. I had an ultrasound recently and they said my lining is very thin. I think that means not enough estrogen? I'm concerned about taking hormones because I don't want to gain weight. I have tried for years to lose weight and finally figured that out. Before it didn't matter what I did, I would gain weight. I don't want to undo all of that hard work. I just don't know what to try next. My doctors don't seem to have many suggestions outside of BC pills, yet they tell me we need to get it figured out soon due to risk of bone loss or early menopause. Anyone else out there go through this and find something that worked? Thank you for your time.