Typical duration of post-pill PCOS

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
Hello28

Typical duration of post-pill PCOS

Post by Hello28 »

Hello,

I came off the birth control pill In December 2021 to TTC and have only had two periods since and have not ovulated. I have taken Inofolic Alpha, Zinc and Magnesium for a while now and no change. My LH to FSH ratio is about 2.5 to 1 and my TSH was high but now under control with the use of Thyroxine.

I have been diagnosed with PCOS because of a scan, the LH to FSH ratio and lack of ovulation. I think this is post-pill PCOS since I had regular periods before going on the pill (at age 23 - I am 28 now).

How long does post-pill PCOS usually last? I am thinking of starting on clomid but not sure if I should hold out for a bit longer before taking that measure.

Grateful for advice/people to share experiences.

Thanks!
Lara

Re: Typical duration of post-pill PCOS

Post by Lara »

So, a temporary post-pill androgen surge can go on for up to a couple of years.
But ovulation and regular periods should be established quite quickly. In your case, underactive thyroid could have been a factor in lack of periods, so you should give the thyroid medication a few months to work and then assess where you're at with periods.
Hello28

Re: Typical duration of post-pill PCOS

Post by Hello28 »

Thank you Lara! I have been taking thyroid medication, metformin and doing accupuncture, and I’ve since had two periods (with 34 days in between). I have done a blood test for progesterone and it’s showing that I am still not ovulating. Does the fact my periods have come back mean I should just continue with the same course of treatment and ovulation will resume shortly or is it time to move on to ovulation induction treatments? Thanks