PCOS or hypothalamic amenorrhea?

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
ambiebambiex

PCOS or hypothalamic amenorrhea?

Post by ambiebambiex »

Hi

I went to a gynecologist in the Netherlands and he diagnosed me with PCOS based on ultrasound (polycystic ovaries) and my missing periods. I have experienced acne a few years ago, but my BMI is 20 (eating well) and I don't have hirsutism. I have normal estrogen, TSH, prolactin, FSH (no other hormone testing). My testosterone was not tested for due to having no physical signs of high testerone. I'm wondering if my case is PCOS (inflammation or adrenal based) or hypothalamic amenorrhea. I tried all the things from the hypothalamic amenorrhea section (eating more, stressing less and supplements), including the Vitex, which gave me an annovulatory cycle and prolonged bleeding (which stopped again after taking a progestin).

I'm wondering what to do? Which tests should I do to get the right diagnosis? Could micronized progesterone be helpful to get my period back, because I've experienced one ovulation after the progestins? At this moment I'm taking zinc picolinate, liposomal glutathione, magnesium glycinate, ubiquinol, curcumin & NAC. I'm a little worried because a want to get pregnant in the near future. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by ambiebambiex on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lara

Re: PCOS or hypothalamic amenorrhea?

Post by Lara »

As I describe in the blog post, I find the LH:FSH ratio very helpful in differentiating between hypothalamic amenorrhea and PCOS. Has no one tested LH?