Myo-Inositol + antidepressants (SSRI)

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
anastasiia

Myo-Inositol + antidepressants (SSRI)

Post by anastasiia »

Hi Lara,

I have PCOS (insulin resistant) and subclinical hypothyroidism as well I’m taking escilatopram (which is SSRI antidepressant).

After reading Dr. Briden’s book, I switched to GF/DF diet and started magnesium 300 mcg for 2 weeks already. I really want to add myo-inositol to kick weight loss process and lower IR.

Can I use Inositol with escitalopram antidepressant (SSRI)? I haven’t found any clear interactions between them.

Thanks in advance.
Lara

Re: Myo-Inositol + antidepressants (SSRI)

Post by Lara »

As for as I know, myo-inositol is safe with SSRIs and in fact, all medications. It's a very safe supplement.
anastasiia

Post by anastasiia »

Thanks a lot for your reply Lara! 🙏🏻
Salome

Post by Salome »

I would like to try myo-inositol as I have severe PMS, possibly PMDD, and it is increasing as I am in perimenopause, aged 42, but I am worried about myo-inositol because of the progesterone increase that it brings. I tried taking natural progesterone pills and this brought on all the symptoms of PMS/PMDD. I wonder if taking estrogen alone would help me, as I feel happy even blissful sometimes in those parts of my cycle? I react well sometimes to antihistamines for my dark moods, but I find that they only work for a short period and sometimes they create a kind of bounce back effect - because they only suppress the receptors of the histamines for a certain while and the dose suggested on the packet is too little...also they give more brain fog/fatigue. If you or any other members have any advice I would be very grateful? I take Magnesium, Iodine, Taurine and B vits already and feel the benefits for most of the month including in the first week after ovulation, but I feel nothing works in the last week. 5htp/St Johns wort help sometimes, but I get used to it very quick, and it can give me anxiety. Perhaps SAMe is the best thing to try next? SSRI's I find too strong for me. Thank you very much.
Lara

Post by Lara »

If you haven't already, please see my premenstrual summary blog post and Chapter 7 of Hormone Repair Manual. And stay tuned for my podcast/YouTube video next week all about premenstrual mood symptoms. One of my top recommendations is dairy-free if you haven't tried that already. And in answer to your question, yes, it can sometimes be helpful to take a little transdermal estrogen at the very end of the cycle.
Salome

Post by Salome »

Thank you, I will speak to my doctor about the oestrogen...
I just read this article about SAMe being unsafe: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... supplement