Coming off Spironolactone + Long term effects?

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
tcoulson

Coming off Spironolactone + Long term effects?

Post by tcoulson »

Hi there,
I'm 33, lean pcos. I've been on Spiro for about 4 months now at 100mg per night and also taking cyclic progesterone (200mg) on days 14-28. My Naturopath and I are following the method that Jerrilyn Prior is using in her study. The Spiro has made my periods super light (brown) and messed with my cycle length- varying between 16-33 days. I was previously just taking cyclic progesterone and my cycles were either 28 or 30 days, depending on if I ovulated or not, bright red normal flow - it was amazing!

I went on the spiro to help with stubborn acne and hirsutism, and it's helped with acne but i hate how it is messing with my cycle.
I am hoping to come off it once I reach 6 month on it, as I'll be TTC within the next year. Any tips for gently coming off spiro and avoiding a surge of acne/hair growth? I'm currently doing laser hair removal and am dairy free. Does Spiro help get androgens under control in the long run or is it just a temporary fix?

Current supplements: vitamin d (on a high dose right now because my levels were very low), omega-3, resveratrol, ovasitol, magnesium, progesterone (day 14-28), spironolactone (100mg)

Thank you!