Spotting and SHBG high

A discussion area for PCOS. Please start by reviewing my articles 4 Types of PCOS, 4 Causes of androgen excess in women and Chapter 7 of Period Repair Manual.
Candepag

Spotting and SHBG high

Post by Candepag »

Hello Dr.
I'm 34 years old and I've been having spotting for more than 7 years now. It started when using contraception pills. For the last 3 years, I've stopped because I wanted to restore my natural menstrual cycle. The spotting increased over the years, now I have it right after my ovulation and continues until my period.
My doctor said that I have PCOS but according to ultrasound sounds like I ovulate. I have my period every 30 days sharp but for 13 days I have spotting. According to my blood tests my free hormones are normal but the only thing that I have high is the SHBG which is 153 nmol/l. I've tried doing the hormone replacement with progesterone when I'm ovulating for months but nothing changed.

I have a family history of having hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease but my blood test say I'm okay. Could this be a possibility? (T3: 1.23 ng/mL; T4 free 1.31 ng/dl; Free testosterone 1.41 pg/ml)

How can I lower the SHBG and regulate my period?
Thanks!
Lara

Re: Spotting and SHBG high

Post by Lara »

Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? Because positive thyroid antibodies (even with normal TSH) can be associated with hypothyroid symptoms, including spotting. See the thyroid discussion in my books.

Of course, there could be other factors.